Every day the Serials & Preservation Team get enquiries about holds on serials. A common problem is that people are putting a hold on the “main entry” rather than the “brief entry”. This means that a hold will never be fulfilled. It also means that if staff are doing it from Symphony that they have to override the system to do it – this should be the first hint that something is wrong.
- The main entry is the record that contains the publication information about the serial and its holdings.
- The brief entry is a record for individual items of that serial and has the associated date on it.
How to place holds on serials
On Web catalogue:
- Use Search Catalogue, enter the title and click on Periodical Title.
- Find the brief entry for the issue required and proceed with hold.
- From item search find the title using the Periodical Title and Keyword Search.
- To speed up the search add the year to the search e.g. BBC wildlife 2007.
- Find the issue required and proceed with the hold.
- Avoid the main entry which will be the one with no date or volume information attached!
Serials & Preservation team