The recently released Public Libraries of New Zealand – A strategic framework 2012-2017 “Charts the future of public libraries in New Zealand. It is designed to help libraries, and their local councils to extend their services through new technology, and improve their efficiency through partnerships and alliances.” It is produced by Local Government New Zealand and Public Libraries of New Zealand.
Some of the things the strategy highlights are libraries as:
- public civic spaces
- vibrant places of inspiration, debate and social interaction
- repositories of recorded knowledge and information about our cultural heritage
- significant conduit for services and information provided by government agencies and civil organisations
- places where reading for pleasure and lifelong learning is encouraged
- places of innovative services and rich content to meet the needs of users in the digital age
Have a read and see where public libraries in New Zealand are heading.